Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2009

Removing Curbside Weeds

I am tired of weeds popping out along my curb. In the past, I physically removed weeds with its long well developed roots, I also used herbicides on weeds - they came back years after years.

My next strategy was to patch up, seal up the crack with concrete mix. It seems to work for a season.
Next year, the weeds started to grow again. Instead of "heavy" bushes of weeds, now they are smaller, but still awful to look at when your house is the only one on the block that has weeds
# # #
I think I have figured out how I keep having weeds..
► The paved street, made from mostly asphalt composition, and the curb side, made from mostly concrete mix, They expand and contract differently, leaving a small crack between these two surfaces
► The small crack reduce the moisture evaporation; and the daily over-watering run-off soaks down the cracks.
Lesson learned.

► The crack and the uneven surface allows soil/sand to pool nutrition for weeds to grow.
► 40lb concrete mix doesn't fill many holes
► Standard, concrete mix contains pebbles too big to fill cracks, patching the surface unevenly. Make your own sand/cement mix instead.
If you found my personal experience entertaining, please visit my sponsor ads, Thanks