Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shopping for Tiles, Bath-Flooring-Kitchen

I tried out my first bath remodeling last month.  I was all excited about the tile works.  Tiles need to cover  all the flooring and tub surround, was only $200. Why people don't upgrade their bath more?

When it comes to make it a stand out, the cost of tiles are starting to add up.  A bull-nose 2x4" tile cost more than the 18x18 tiles. ($3.50 versus $2.00).  A 4x4 tile costs 22 cents, where as the same tile with a rounded side/nose costs 96 cents. A 4x4 mosaic tile $5.12, 6x6 mosaic tile $7.50.

Is the labor worth it to cut down your own 4x4 tiles? How much is that wear on the tile cutter blade? The tile guy suggested to forget the bull-nose pieces, and just stick with square edge tiles, and apply a thicker tile grout to round out the edges. Ok,  it's is acceptable to go cheap then.

# # # #

For the next bathroom, I started to working on the "decorative tiles pieces" by visiting all local home improvement stores.  As turn out - the "close out" "discounts" aren't the same for the chain stores; apparently, the store managers decide what to discount and by how much.


I found that 22 cents 4x4 tiles (regularly priced) was discounted to 12 cents - I picked up all the remaining tiles 3 boxes and the change. That purchase enough for 1 bathroom "decorative strips".  I visited another store, the same tiles was discounted to 9 cents a tile I picked up even more of the tiles.  How much do I save? $100 tiles for $50. Is it worth the effort? I don't know, what do you think?

Another example, the 2x2 -1 sq ft tile piece listed for $9.50 each, discounted for $4.50.  I found it is ideal for shower flooring - its rough texture and size provides a non-slippery surface.  There were 10 decent pieces (w/o damage) - that is enough to make a 3x3 shower stall. so, that's a $100 tile project for $50.

The amount time spent to save that $200 of material cost isn't very smart.  But knowing you can have what you wanted for less - is very satisfying.


Everything Smart SA