Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

After 12 Years, I Did It


I did it.

I wanted to buy a bus to be used as conversion for sometime now. After 12 years, I jumped into action and purchased a bus over the Internet.

5-6 years ago, I went online and started bidding on bus auctions. But I was not daring to put up high bids to "make sure" I could win the auctions.

I bid low - on buses in bad condition; I didn't get it.
I bid higher than I was planned on buses with highway gearing; I didn't get it.
I watched good buses auctioned off for reasonable prices; I wasn't in the mood to do it.
I saw the RV piled up in the dealers lots, RV workers lost jobs when the gas price hit over $4.00 a gallon; I thought the RV was too expensive for average Joe's.

Now, I am getting older now and a bit more disciplined, or I am better at managing expectations. I always though having a bus and working on the bus will make me happy; as others have enjoyed theirs.

I read many failed conversions, unfinished projects - it also made me feel unease about getting into this bus conversion project. I admire the bus owners for their passions, envy of their skills and have sympathy toward their financial challenges in funding conversions.

After 12 years of on the sideline, and endless of on-and-off “dreaming & planning”, I bought a 40-ft RTS bus on eBay over the Memorial Day weekend.
I am thankful for those had shared their experiences with their conversions - I think I am (bus) wiser now on my own endeavor. May my 12-year conversion project be enjoyable and many others have with theirs.