Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Class B - A Never Expired Learner Permit


Get a learner permit (get a passing grade on written exam) with LOFS endorsement (licensed operator at front seat).

There is not time limit when the learner permit (LOFS) expires.

# # # #


(Texas Driver Handbook) May be it's about left brain, right brain way of learning, but it seems to me the topics presented in this official handbook needs major restructuring to fit my style of learning.

There are physical dimensions - 65 ft, 59 ft, 45 ft, 102", 60", 30" 15 ft etc. There are spacing requiring (non-vehicle related) - 100 ft, 200 ft, 600 ft, 300 ft, 1000 ft, etc. There are markers, red, amber, white etc. But these numbers, types are all over the map (handbook). In preparing for the test, I found grouping types of answer-topics are less confusing, easier to remember than topics-answers style of presentation.

The bottom lines is about knowing (memorize) the answers to pass the test; even though it's more beneficial to have good "general understanding of topics".
Not knowing whether the test covers the "Class C" section of Driver Handbook - I took time to study the entire handbook anyway; knowing/refresh the handbook may not be a bad thing after all even though it added 2-3 hours of additional study time. I wrote down answers to all the sample/practice questions, and repeated the exercise couple more time to make sure I had memorized answers pertaining to chapter 15 well.


I checked in the DPS office at 7:50 am. There was a long line of people already before the office was scheduled to open at 8:00 am. I was nerves, but any how, I know I need to do this to have proper licensing to operate my bus in the state of Texas. I checked in, and handed over my application to a clerk sitting behind the counter. Soon I was re-directed to a testing terminal for my exam. Hadn't refreshed the sample questions for two-three days, I was afraid I am going to be confused with the "number", "year" related questions. Not knowing the passing criteria, I just tried my best to answer test questions as the computer prompted questions one-after another.
I begun to feel comfortable with my answers, gradually, I spent less time to respond. Shortly, the computer stopped prompting questions, and displayed "14 correct answers on 14 questions - go see the clerk".

Wow, I passed the written part - 100% correct responses. I think, I was full of joy proceed to the clerk administering the test terminals. I was queued to turn in my driver license-to upgrade my existing "Class C" to a "Class B" with restriction "learner permit".

I am ready for my next phase of qualifying - find a vehicle to do the test drive!