Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2009

► Sago Palm – Turning Yellow – A Sign of Time (Bexar Drought Water)



Being a diligent resident in urban area relying heavily on Edward Aquifer, it’s important to me that I use water efficiently. It’s not hard to tell who’s trying hard to keep their yards “dark green” despite of serious on-going drought/and extreme high temperatures.
What worry me the most is about lacking of a clear long term strategy to overcoming water resource constraint in our area. In Bexar County metro area, we anticipate the population growth from current of 1.7 million to 2.8 millions by 2040. See Source Where can we tap in 60-70% more water?
I planted mostly drought tolerant and suitable for xeriscape. One of my favorite plants is Sago Palm (It is Not a true palm, but a member of the prehistoric family of cycads) I haven't watered Sago Palms in the past 5-6 years since the roots system was well established.
Couple weeks, the leaves were turning yellow and some even had black spots. I. panicked - how can a “bullet proof” plant going sick on my care?
As turn out – the “yellowing” is likely due to insufficient watering. Well, my plants are begging me to bring up my monthly water usage of 3,000 gallons to the neighborhood average of 8,900 gallons. See SAWS
Apparently, there is difference between “drought tolerant” and ‘drought resistant”. The only drought resistant plants I found in my yards are ‘weeds” and “St. Augustine” grass - they seems to come back alive, no matter what.
Xeriscape Plants can be found in my yards
===================================================
Tree: Burn Oak/ Live Oak / Texas Red Oak / Chinkapin Oak
Almost Tree like: Texas Mountain laurel / Crapemyrtle / Photinia
Shrubs: Forsythia / Nandina / Oleander / Cleyera / Sago Palm / Texas Sage
Short/Ground covers: Asian Jasmine / Red Yucca / Lantana /