Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

► Did I Unknowingly Purchase A Replica (Fake) Swiss Watch?

I watched mom went through several malfunctioned watches, I was determined to buy a nicer watch (it has to be a brand name watch). I was disappointing that my first “watch” gift to her – the classic Seiko watch stopped working after 12 years.

Our family members never owned Swiss made watches. I have no idea what the marketing slogan “Swiss Movement” is about. It tells time?

First, I was shocked by the prices of “entry level” Swiss watches, and good looking ones are in the $1,000 range. How’s that $50 Timex Iron Man watch now? Iron man watch seems to be more functional, durable. For the $1,000 watch, I could practically have a new Timex on my wrist every 2-3 years for rest of my life.


Then it hits me, owning a Swiss watch is not about telling time, it's about wearing a piece jewelry that also tells time.


I settled on a Tissot Titanium 3-dials chronograph watch. I surprised mom with the replacement watch as a Christmas gift. Three years later, the watch stopped working and it’s time replace the battery, right? As turn out it has “Swiss Movement” mechanical problems. The local watch shop won’t touch/warranty the repairs. Without warranty the local shop still wants $140 for making the attempt on repairing it. Tissot official repair shop – estimates the repair around $200.

As I google for alternative source of repair, I came across several replica Tissot watch sites that offer the exact same design watch. The replicas are going for almost as much as the one I had paid for The price listed on Amazon merchant partner (genuine, I assume it’s from authorized dealer) was twice I had paid. I wonder whether I got the genuine artifact at a great discount, or I had just unknowingly purchased a FAKE high $$ watch with nice wooden Tissot watch box.