Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

► Processing Digital Pictures



Today's digital camera takes high resolution (high pixel count) pictures; the image size and number of images (collectively) make the "post processing" a very challenge task.


Over the years, I developed my 7-Step of processing digital images.
1. Download everything from the memory card; protect the original and Call this set as "original copy"
2. Make a copy of “original copy” as a “working copy”.
▲ The processing will be working off this set, then I am free to delete or manipulate files in this set. If I really screwed up here, I can always go back to the "original copy" for the "original file" again.

3. From the working copy, delete obvious ones you don't want to keep. I will delete files without reservation on pictures that are out of focus, wrong subject matter, off colors, wrong lighting that can’t be fixed.. What’s left in t1his set - the pictures "worthy" of my time to "process"/"Photoshop".
4. Export the "working copy" set to a resolution of 1600dpi. Call this set "Project Backup Set".
▲ 1600 dpi is good enough for reproducing high quality 4x6 5x7 photographs. The purpose of this "project backup set" is to archive ALL your work without the bloated file size. For example; The original set of 2-3gb memory card are reduced to 250mb or so (1/10 of original size).
5. Using the "Working copy" - reduce the number of photo. The remaining photos shall be
▲ No repeat, no similar topics/subject matter
▲ Telling an interesting story or telling a longer version of the same story

6. "Photoshop" the final selection to my liking - by "adjusting color, lighting, contrast, highlights", "cropping photos". Save this "post processed set of photos as "Project Photos"
7. I will pick no more than 24-36 photos (a roll of film) from the "project photos", and I call it the "my coffee table book" - cream of the crop.

So, by the end, I will keep 3 folders/sets of photos:
a. A coffee table quality photos (no more than 36)
b. A project photos - adjusted/cropped - full resolution
c. A "project backup set - un-touched, but reduced resolution

I will let the software to tag my "project photos" folders, but not the "coffee table album, nor the

▲ ▲ ▲
If you like what you read, please visit my sponsor ads, Thanks